- Camp Iona is set on 2.2ha, with areas of flat to sloping lawns and a sealed area in front of the hall.
- On one side is a confidence course set amongst native bush. You will discover a large stainless steel slide here too.
Here is an Orienteering map and questions that you can download and print. All points are within the camp boundary.
Close to Camp
- Nearby, Glencoe Domain set in the midst of native bush, has a larger sports area.
- Well used tracks in the native bush beside the Waianakarua River are a delight to explore.
- There is a rock face in the river gorge that can be used for adventure rock climbing.
Within Reach of Camp
- The privately owned Port Blakely Herbert Forest, while just across the Waianakarua River, is best accessed via Breakneck Road through the Waianakarua township. Public walking access is allowed, with three native bush tracks of various lengths to explore. There are some large podocarp trees here, and you will be serenaded by the bellbirds and other native birds. A steel ladder enables you to climb beside a waterfall.
- PLEASE NOTE: The forest is private property and there may be times when access is closed, such as during high fire danger or when there are operations in progress. We would therefore ask that people respect any closures and obey any signage that is in place
- McKerrows Pond is suitable for water sports, and has canoes and yachts available. Their web site is www.wainak-lions.org>mckerrows-pond, and there is a booking calendar for date selection.
- Vanished World trail is a North Otago wide self-drive trail to explore the ancient geological history of the district. Their website is www.vanishedworld.co.nz
- Historic Oamaru, New Zealand’s onlyVictorian Town, is well worth a visit. www.historicoamaru.co.nz
- The world renowned Moeraki Boulders are just down the road. www.moerakiboulders.com , as is the Shag Point boulder walk, accessible only at low tide.
- There are various day walks within easy distance of Camp Iona. Contact the North Otago Tramping and Mountaineering Club for ideas. www.notmc.co.nz
Health and Safety
The Camp Iona Health and Safety Policy covers campers in the environment of the camp during their stay at Camp Iona.
Our Caretaker will brief the leader of the party of campers, advising them of the potential hazards, safe and correct use of facilities and camp equipment.
It is the responsibility of the leader of the party of campers to ensure that all members of their party are aware and understand this information.
Camp Iona Health and Safety Policy does not cover campers activities, or any other parties which campers may bring on to the Camp Iona site to conduct activities of any sort.